Saturday, December 16, 2006

It May Not Be Professional

I'm gonna say it.

I'm glad Calgary is going forward with a bylaw to fine people for spitting, urinating and loitering. And, no, I don't think this is just an attack on Calgary's homeless. I have never once seen a homeless person spit (that doesn't mean they don't do it, I know). I have had a girl hoark at my feet just as I was getting ready to go on a train. Unnecessary. I have seen a guy hoark on a wall while I was going to eat lunch. Gross. I have seen a bus driver spit out the window when other cars where driving. I have seen older people - seniors spit whenever and wherever they like. It's a disgusting habit. As for loitering, which I think will affect the homeless the most, there are a tonne of bored youth loitering everywhere, so they should get fined as well. Maybe they'll understand they're not untouchable.
And speaking of seniors doing whatever they want. I have had so many old ladies butt in front of me this week. I don't understand why they can't wait in line either. Yes, we should respect them, but I think they have to earn some of that respect as well. And if that makes me ageist, well then that's the way it's going to be.