Friday, January 13, 2006

But You Can't Push Willy Where Willy Won't Go

I wrote this on Wednesday because it was so fresh in my mind, and since I knew I wouldn’t get proper internet till Friday, I wanted to get it down on word. Tuesday morning at 8:30, Joya, Deanna and myself embarked on quite the journey. We went to Grande Prairie. Why? My friend from Elim, Allison was getting herself married, and I wanted to be there. I had received a lot of invitations from friends getting married, and this was the first one yet to be in Alberta. I decided to go since I could, and to sort of "make up" for the others I couldn’t make it to. So the trip was fun, what with the rocking out to 80's music, making monkey noises (which if you do it in a certain way is sure to give a person rock hard abs), truck caravans, roads that smell like pot and pulp and paper mills. I saw bison, which I hadn’t seen in about 15 years or so, Joya and I shared a brain and finger expressions (fingspressions) and I saw a dead deer. This was all on the way up.
We crashed at Deanna’s friend’s house, so when we arrived, Joya and I jumped in the shower to prettify ourselves then we were on our way. It turns out Allison and Paul had gotten married on December 21 in Ontario, but because they had family in both Winnipeg and Alberta, they did two more ceremonies there. I did not know that. So after prayers that almost made me laugh out loud and a very short stay, Joya and I were on our way to a Kelseys.
So, if ever you go to Grande Prairie, think of all your preconceptions of a city, then, turn them around. We had very general directions at first, so we headed for what we thought was the heart of the city. It wasn’t there, nor was it the heart of the city. After getting better directions, we went down what we thought looked more like the residential part of the city, and all of a sudden we were on a bustling highway.
Alright, Kelseys. First of all we had to wait until the hostess was done with a personal call, the she led us to a dirty table with a beer bottle still on the table! We thought our luck had changed when the waiter arrived. He seemed to be semi-normal, and fun. We ordered our drinks and our meals and sat and waited. First off, they didn’t have the drink I wanted, so I had to change my mind (which wasn’t a big deal, I was torn between two choices anyway), then they made Joya’s paralyser non paralysing, so she got our waiter’s attention and got him to get her a different drink, so he did, as well as start drinking her old paralyser. Other things happened, but for the sake of understandable explanations if you want to know more, ask Joya or myself in person.
Upon leaving Kelseys, we found ourselves on the funnest road in history. There were dips in the road every few feet or so and Joya and I spent about 10 - 15 minutes of our trip giggling like school girls and shouting "aaaaaand another one" just before the dips. It was great fun.
And then we slept.
And then we woke up.
And then we started about 20 minutes later than we wanted to, but it was all good. Joya ran out of wiper fluid so we had to pull over the side of the 43 to fill it up, and then we were in Edmonton, and getting quite turned around. Finally we made it to the mall, where we went to HMV and I purchased The Legend of Johnny Cash, and an Apocalyptica CD. Then, we saw a penguin. A real life penguin. It was so cute, and it looked so cuddly.
Then we left.
Then Joya had to pull over to clean her headlights off because the car was that dirty.
Then we played Pididdle. I won with 34, I think Joya had 27 or so, and Deanna had about 5 (but she started long after we had, and both Joya and I got a semi Pididdle).
Then we went to a car wash and my pillow got soaked. I guess the trunk leaks a wee bit? Then we got home where Joya spilled Blizzard on her newly cleaned car.
Then Deanna and I watched Lost because after a month, it was finally a new one!
And that’d be it.

Ciao