Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Free For the Moment

I guess it's time for me to update. Christmas this year has been .... interesting. On Christmas Eve, I slept over at the Andersons so I could have stockings with them. Bad idea: 3 people on a double bed. It makes for no sleep. However, I did have the advantage being in the middle, but still no fun when you want to stretch out, but can't. Christmas I spent by myself. Twas very sad but I got over it. I slept a lot and had the most amazing turkey ever - made by moi! Boxing Day I worked then went to Alida's aunt and uncle's house to have an amazing meal and played some fun theatre games, the limbo, twister (for which I was the spinner) and three on the couch. For the second time Alida and I tried to watch Melinda and Melinda, but we were not successful - we just got too darn tired. When I got home this morning, my dad had left a message on my machine. I was a little skeptical as he never initiates the calling, so I was afraid my grandma had passed away (I think everyone in my family is expecting that call any day now). Well, when I called back, dad just mentions blithely that he wrecked the truck. My heart probably stopped right there. When they were driving back from St. Anne's (Near St. Catharines) someone illegally switched lanes and dad thinks she lost a little control because she was jerking around the wheel or something; anyway, she hit the right part of dad's F150 - a huge mother beast in my eyes - and sent it flying. Among other things it rolled and other crazy things. Keep in mind this was on the 407 where, while not as fast as Alberta's roads, its a pretty fast paced highway. My parents actually walked out alive and relatively hurt free! Mom's a little stiff, and I'm sure dad hurts more than he's letting on. His glasses were knocked off his head somehow, so I'm expecting neck/back hurt there. One of the things that make me so mad was the fact that my mom's tres tres tres fragile Christmas gift was in the truck, and they don't know how it is yet. You see, my mom collects cornflower dishes - a special design on glass - and due to money constraints (the harder they are to find, the more expensive it is), she usually only gets some on Christmas from my Grandma Cheel (not the one expected to die). I truly believe she looks forward to that, and I know my Grandma loves buying it for her. I know I should be happy that my parents are alive and well, and I am, don't get me wrong, but my parents don't often spend a lot for frivolities on themselves. The girl driving is getting charged which is good. She only has her G2, and I think she's getting 7 points on her liscence, so hopefully she won't be driving for a good long time! This also means that my dad will be getting a new vehicle. I don't know if it's a total write-off, but he doesn't like keeping vehicles that have been in an accident like that so he'd probably trade it in for something. I think the last accident we were in was when I was in Grade 9 and we were a few degrees from being hit head on. A lack of vehicular accidents in 10 years is pretty good.
All that just makes me want to be home that much more however, so I'm in this emotional whirlpool. Good thing for days off. Hope your holiday's been merry!

Ciao