Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Life Is Waiting For You

Ok, something must be said. I concede that I have fairly conservative views on certains aspects in Christianity, and I certainly do not mean any disrespect to anyone who disagrees with me, nor do I devalue their friendship, intellect, nor Christian walk for having different opinions than me, and I hope and pray that such thinking will be reciprocated.
This is in regard to the relationship between men and women. What brought this on? T.V. As Kris is aware of, I sometimes have to switch channels when commercials come on because they infuriate me. The main commercial I am thinking of is the Progressive commercial where the guy is watching football and his wife (presumably) is nagging him about car insurance, and is not satisfied about his results. Fair enough; we should always do our best - not 'try' because I've recently come to the impression that in 'trying' we lack the initiative and confidence to actually do it. Trying is just a default word in case we fail. Failure is ok, it's how we react, and move on from that is the problem! But that's a tangent for another time. If wifey wanted to get her results, she should have done it herself. When did women wear the pants in the relationship, and when did it become ok to mock men, and pretty much emasculate them? When it happened to women, a huge outcry happened that changed society forever. What happened to the saying, "what's good for the goose is good for the gander"? (For those who don't know or realize - a gander is a boy goose). And why are girls in commercials always getting the keys for the car? My dad always drove - unless he was so extremely sick blood was filling his eyes so he couldn't see, or he wasn't conscious. He dislocated his shoulder and was still driving a stick! And in some of these commercials the girls are so small, they probably couldn't even see over the steering wheel.
Ok - with those thoughts in mind, I bring to the table the Word of God.
"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of hte church, and He is the Savior of the body . . . husbands, love your wives just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word . . . so husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself" (Ephesians 5: 22-23; 25-26; 28) I added the verse about husbands, because I in no way want to be mistaken as approving wife beating. It is a give and take relationship, but the husband is the head.
"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as it is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and so not be bitter toward them." (Colossians 3:18-19). Women, don't nag husbands to the point of bitterness (Kim July 19).
I know what I probably say is so old school, and very undesired in a liberal world, but when did we start forgetting what God said, or saying, 'oh it's cultural, so it doesn't mean anything'. Why did God allow it to be added to the canon if He didn't think that in the year 20 aught 5 it would be useful to us? Well it's useful to me, and it gives me insight into being a godly wife.
And thats where I stand on that!

Ciao