Monday, April 17, 2006

With A Rebel Yell

So this might be a little bit more controversial than my other entries have been. I think I've kept quiet on here long enough, I must say something. It has to do with Dan Brown and The Da Vinci Code. I have this book, I've read it twice, and I've borrowed it out to Joya at the moment. Working at Chapters, I recommend it at least once a day. I've also read (and own) Angels and Demons (prequel to Code), Deception Point, and Digital Fortress. Deception Point deals with whether aliens did exist (to an extent) and Digital Fortress is about math. Just math.
Let me just state right off that I am frustrated to the gills when people say they won't read this or it is bad for Christians to read. I've read this and I haven't lost my faith (or my salvation for that matter), and when I recommend it to possible non-Christians, I'm not afraid they won't become Christians for it. There are a LOT more books - and non-fiction at that - that claim they discount the existence of Jesus, and Christianity isn't the true religion, etc. Why are we getting upset at something that clearly says A Novel? Is it because we now realize Harry Potter isn't as bad as we thought and we need something else to rag on? We were wrong about Harry Potter weren't we?
A general comment heard from Christians. "It causes Christians to turn away from their faith." I know people like that - Years ago I was like that. I couldn't question my faith. We NEED to question our faith so we can become stronger in it. We need to have the information so that a book like this won't break us. It is not the book's fault Christians turn away. It is no one's fault but their own. They gave in. Christianity is a fight against Satan. Satan will use anything to get us to fold, and granted, he is probably using the book. That's why we put on the armour of God. We do need to guard ourselves, and be careful what we read etc. However, The Da Vinci Code has less swearing than any sitcom, and no sex - which isn't what I can say about sitcoms and anything on TV.
One more thing. The Da Vinci Code isn't true. We know that as a fact! But what about the people who read the Left Behind series and claim it as the word of God. We don't know that's a fact! Why do people read those series, think that's how the end of the world is going to play out and sit back and let it happen. Um, guys, Paul wrote Thessalonians to tell the people to stop doing that. It still applies today. Is everyone saved? Left Behind is based on the dispensationalist theory. THEORY. There are other ways to interpret Revelation. The preterist focuses exclusively on how this document would have been received by original readers. They wouldn't have any idea about chips going in arms - why are we? The Bible does not say that is the mark of the beast. The Historicist interpretation sees Revelation as a description of the history of the church in advance. The Futurist interpretation relations to John's day (to some extent), but the main focus is the end times and the consumation of the kingdom of God. Finally, the Idealist interpretation is the perennial struggle between Good and Evil. It is not to be interpreted into world history.
So why do we embrace the LB series and believe it to be true, when we know for sure Code is untrue and we shun it like a disease. Jack Van Impe called Christians who read it and believed it to be "just a novel" was foolish. If we're insulting people, why don't we call the people who believe the LB series foolish as well? What's good for the goose must be good for the gander.
That's all.
By the way, Code is excellently written, albeit adolescent. Don't cast judgement on what you haven't read.
Oh, and I have read most of the Left Behind series, and that is a well written story too. Just remember it's a story - not per se a forshadow of what's going to happen.